Cosmetology involves several specialties dealing with beauty. There are various occupations that a cosmetologist can apply themselves to. These careers include hairdressers, barbers, makeup artists, skin care specialists, massage therapy consultants, manicurists, nail technicians, and model or acting consultants. Persons looking to pursue a career in cosmetology need to go through six to twelve months of private or vocational cosmetology schooling. They need to become licensed in the area they are going to be working in. The requirements for cosmetology licenses vary from state to state.
General Career Information
- Cosmetology Career Guide: Provides information on cosmetology careers, including the requirements and the basic job duties for each position.
- Cosmetologist Career Video: Videos about cosmetology careers, along with information on various cosmetology schools, salaries, careers, and licensing requirements.
- Beauty School & Cosmetology School: Valuable information on the cosmetology career and what to expect. Information on certification, licensing, career options, and schooling for this field of study.
- International Nail Tech Association: Useful information for nail tech cosmetologists, as well as comprehensive insurance while they practice cosmetology.
- Hooked on Nails: Articles about nails for nail techs and interested individuals. Topics include nail care, manicures, pedicures, nail disorders, acrylic nails, and more.
Make Up Application
- National Cosmetology Association: The NCA provides information for all cosmetology students and those interested in pursuing a career in cosmetology. The site offers information on how to become a cosmetologist and offers an opportunity to discuss topics with others.
- American Association of Cosmetology: The AAC provides cosmetology information for students and curious individuals. Information on certification, schooling, licensing, obtaining a career, and scholarship information is available.
- Aesthetic International Association: Provides human, business, and educational resources to cosmetologists across the world. Updated information allows cosmetologists to keep up on certification and licensing requirements.
- Cosmetologists of America: This association provides resources for cosmetologist to get the information they need for their salon.
- Association of Cosmetology Salon Professionals: Keeps the cosmetologist updated on the rules and regulations of salons, licensing, and certification. Provides community service outreach programs for salons who would like to gain exposure, while providing for their community.
- NACCAS: The National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts and Sciences provides an opportunity for cosmetologists to visit workshops throughout the year to improve their art. \Also includes information on licensing and certification requirements.
Cosmetology Scholarships & Grants
Certification in Cosmetology
- Alabama Board of Cosmetology: Information on the state of Alabama's requirements for cosmetology certification.
- Arizona State Board of Cosmetology: Information that provides cosmetologists with the resources needed to renew their licenses.
- Arkansas Department of Health: Forms for rules, regulations, and licensing are provided.
- California Department of Consumer Affairs: Forms for online licensing, change of personal information, and regulations of being a cosmetologist.
- Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies: Information for licensing, and renewal licenses being mailed out.
- Delaware Board of Cosmetology and Barbering: The rules and regulations of being a certified and licensed cosmetologist. Forms for license renewal.
- Hawaii Professional and Vocational Licensing: Information on how to become licensed, and renew your license for cosmetology.
- Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses: Online license renewal information, rules and regulations of initial licensing as well.
- Iowa Department of Public Health: Information on filing a complaint, and renewing your license online.
- Kansas Board of Cosmetology: Statues and limitation information, forms and applications, and online renewal information.
- Louisiana Board of Cosmetology: Application information. Licensing and regulations for certification information.
- Maine Office of Licensing and Registration: Laws and rules of licensing with provided registration forms.
- Montana Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists: Licensing information, rules, and regulations. Forms for renewal and complaints.
- New Hampshire Board of Barbering, Cosmetology, and Esthetics: Information on the regulations for the state, and forms to apply for licensing or renewal.
- North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners: Information on the laws of the state, forms for license renewal and inspection information.
- State of Oklahoma Board of Cosmetology: Licensing procedures, laws, and information. Easy to print forms, or online applications for licensure.
- State of Oregon Board of Cosmetology: Check status of a license; renew a license, and information on rules, regulations, and laws.
- Rhode Island Department of Health: Information on their policy statements, rules and regulations, as well as licensure forms.
- South Carolina Board of Cosmetology: Licensing information, and contact information for the offices.
- South Dakota Cosmetology Commission: Laws and requirements for licensing. Forms are provided to print out.
- Vermont Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists: Professional information, forms, and information on licensing rules and regulations for Vermont residents.
- West Virginia Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists: Information on salon opening, licensure, testing information, and school listings.
- State of Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing: Information on licensing, rules, regulations, laws, and services or resources.
- Wyoming Board of Cosmetology: Forms for licensing, board meeting information and times, rules and regulations, and complaint information.